Playgroups are informal groups where parents, carers, babies and children up to school age come together in a relaxed and friendly environment play, connect and learn.
Play provides opportunities to learn, discover, create, improvise, build confidence, express feelings. SDN’s playgroups are supported playgroups. This means the playgroups are organised and run by trained staff who understand children’s development and play-based learning.
Parents and carers stay at playgroup the whole time with their child. This is because playing is one of the most important things a parent or carer can do with their child.
SDN PlayLinks is a weekly supported playgroup for families in Western Sydney.
SDN PlayLinks provides a safe environment where children and parents can participate in play and learning activities run by trained staff who understand children's development and the importance of play-based learning. SDN PlayLinks has two components: supported playgroups and in-home support.
We can help:
- children aged 0-5 and their parents
- children and families from culturally and linguistically diverse (CALD) backgrounds, refugees, families living in vulnerable circumstances and Aboriginal families
- families who would like to help their children learn to communicate, move and play
- families who would like someone to talk to about getting help for their children.
We can help you to:
- spend quality time with your children
- understand how children learn and develop, and what to expect at different ages and stages of development
- connect and socialise with other families
- support your child's communication through play-based activities
- understand your child's behaviour and help them to interact with others
- connect with other services and activities for children and families in your community.
In-home support is an optional component of PlayLinks for eligible families. Home visits are done during school holidays when playgroups are not run. We help parents to set goals and to measure outcomes.
Bookings are essential. To book or make a referral, please email email@example.com or call 1300 831 445.
SDN PlayLinks is a free program and is funded by the NSW Department of Education and Communities through a Families NSW initiative.
SDN PlayLinks supported playgroups are held at the following times in school terms:
Karabi Community and Development Services, 1 Lurgan Street, Constitution Hill
Meeting Room, Granville Branch Library, 8 Carlton Street, Granville
Lalor Park Community Centre, 1 Freemans Street, Lalor Park
A playgroup in Glebe for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander families.
Our Aboriginal playgroup is run by trained Aboriginal staff who understand children’s development and how they learn through play.
In the group, children play with other children and with their parents or carers while giving the adults opportunities to share experiences with each other.
One of our focuses is on healthy eating, and we make sure every family attending playgroup gets a healthy lunch.
We also talk about health, and provide some helpful parenting tips. We often get visitors from our Aboriginal community and Aboriginal elders.
At SDN playgroups, families join in activities and, play alongside their child and experience being playful.
WHEN: Wednesdays 10:00am to 1:00pm
WHERE: Glebe Schools Community Centre - in the grounds of Glebe Public School 9-25 Derwent St Glebe 2037
SDN receives funding from the NSW Department of Family and Community Services to run this Aboriginal playgroup